The Garioch – pronounced ‘Geery’ – is a tract of richly fertile land, some 150 square miles in extent, bounded on every side by rolling hills. The quaint market town of Oldmeldrum, where stands Glen Garioch Distillery, is on its easterly border, some eighteen miles north-west of Aberdeen.
The district was known as ‘The Granary of Aberdeenshire’. Cereal crops have been abundant here for over a thousand years, while the crystal springs which supply Oldmeldrum made the town famous for its beer. So it is not surprising that Glen Garioch Distillery was established as early as 1797 – one of the oldest operating distilleries in Scotland.